This BHS course is the second of the Essential Horse Knowledge Certificates, accredited by the British Horse Society. By taking this course you will gain a sound introduction of horse care & management knowledge and the ability to care for a horse. On completion you will receive a Certificate from the British Horse Society, a valuable qualification that will benefit your CV!
- On completing this course you will gain a qualification from the British Horse Society.
- Ten Modules with interactive online quizzes and videos to watch to reinforce your learning.
- A Workbook to complete Learning Activities in as you progress through the course.
- 1 final exam lasting 1 hour and 15 minutes, to be taken at home.
- 30 recommended study hours - this is only a guide to the learning hours required as it depends on how quickly an individual can absorb the information. The learning is online so it can be spread out over multiple sessions or done in one session.
- Flexible payment options: course fees can be paid in full or spread over six monthly instalments.
- Suitable for all ages.
- Bespoke course material written by industry experts.
- Unlimited dedicated tutor support: online email support to help answer any questions that you may have whilst you are studying the course.
- Opportunity to liaise with other students for support.
- FREE career advice.
- ALL course costs are included: everything you need to know to pass this course is included in your course material as are exam fees and certification.
Who is this course for?
This course will suit anyone who is looking to learn more about the care and management of horses. The recommended minimum age is 12 years. We have students from a wealth of backgrounds:
- Children who are being home schooled.
- Retired people who would enjoy studying and learning more about horses.
- Horse Owners.
- Potential Horse owners.
- Parents of ‘horse loving’ children.
- Students thinking of beginning a career in horses.
- Students who ride on a weekend and would like to know about the care of horses as well as riding.
This is the second level of the new Essential Horse Knowledge Certificates. On completion of this course you will gain a BHS accredited qualification that is recognised and held in high esteem throughout the equine industry. By completing the Entry Level and Level One courses you will have learnt everything you need to know for the theory unit of the BHS Stage 1 Horse Knowledge and Care, which is the first in the professional series of BHS exams.
PAYMENT IN INSTALMENTS
If you want to pay in Instalments then you can do so by following the link below to the Instalment course page. You can pay in six monthly instalments of £45 and have the course material drip fed to you over the course of that time.
"I have just completed the BHS Essential Horse Knowledge course with Equine Distance Learning. I found it very interesting and informative and am very grateful for the support given by Kerry and by my tutor, Sarah. I have also completed the mini course in Horse Health and look forward to enjoying further courses soon."
- Kalonice Berry, March 2019
"The course really prepared me for the exam as it had very detailed modules with useful pictures, diagrams and video links to help me learn the topics."
- Emma Hallett, March 2019
"Hi my name is Freda and I live in Saudi Arabia.
- Freda de Zoeta, November 2018
"I would like to sincerely thank Equine Distance Learning for all their help during 2016 I just got my results in the Essential Horse Knowledge Certificate Level 1 and I got 95.5% I am thrilled to have done so well. Equine Distance Learning were so helpful all the way and in particular Kerry Teasdale. The advice, support and encouragement was brilliant. The course notes were easy to follow and the workbook was great for revision. As I sat the exam in Ireland, Equine Distance Learning made it all possible so professionally. Thank you so much and I look forward to starting the BHS Stage 1 Preparation Course in the New Year”
James McSweeney, December 2016
Sarah Tame, a BHS Stage 4 Senior Coach in Complete Horsemanship, has trained numerous students up to Pony Club A test, BHS Stage 4 level. Sarah competes herself in BE, BS and BD events and holds her NLP Master Practitioner Certificate in Sport. Sarah holds an FdSc in Equine Studies and has 8 years experience of lecturing at an Equestrian College where she has acquired valuable skills in writing courses, assessments and in helping students to achieve. Her City and Guilds Level 5 Certificate in Further Education also guarantees you will receive high quality teaching material. Sarah is currently studying for an MSc in Equine Science at Hartpury College.
“The Level One Essential Horse Knowledge course has been a joy to take part in. It will help me along with EDL to gain BHS stage one. The course material is excellent. It is a sound grounding for the next stage of my plan which is when I retire – three more years – I will have a qualification to work with horses. Without EDL I would not have been able to achieve this goal. Kerry and Sarah make me feel encouraged when I think what I’m doing is impossible – I now feel it isn’t and I will get that BHS stage one – maybe next year.“
Judith, November 2016
“This is an excellent course summarizing the key points of horse ownership. The notes are well structured and clear making it easy to work through, giving you all the information you need along with the support from the EDL team to pass the exam.”
Victoria, October 2016
“Thank you for making the learning packages enjoyable and easy to read through. Links to further information was useful and staff were always to hand for advice. Excellent, regular contact.”
Rachel, January 2016